Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Re-Purposing Vintage Pieces for your Home


Idea of the Day: Re-Purpose and prop out with paper!

I really dig the creative opportunities that we have when taking an old vintage piece and revamping it to completely fit you & your style. Frames are a nice traditional way to capture memories, but why not jump right out of the box?!  This old wood tray is the perfect example. 

I like to take vintage pieces and move them around our home based on the season or how I'm feeling. There are two places that I personally go to grab vintage items.  If you're in the Greater Rochester area, I suggest Rehouse on  East Main in the city & The Shops on West Ridge (aka Craft Antique Co-Op) in Greece. You've got to a bit of searching & looking in both places, but that's the fun of it!

Once I have my base vintage piece, I'll focus on the pictures and and meaningful things that I want to doll it up with.  As in the photo above, it's easy to embellish and compliment the photos using dates, punched pieces, brads, buttons, ribbon or whatever 'floats your boat!'  I particularly love the addition of the linen thread and buttons as they speak beautifully to the feel of the vintage style, and add great texture & color. 

Today's Idea of the Day is made possible because of the following super cool Stampin' Up! accessories:
Linen Thread
Metallic Brads
Big Designer Buttons
Pearl Basic Jewels
Vintage Trinkets
Eyelet Border Punch
Jewelry Tag Punch
1/16" Circle Punch
1/2" Circle Punch
Big Shot
Alphabet Simple Numbers Bigz Die
Bitty Box & Envelope Bigz XL Die
Crochet Threads
Mini clothespins


1 comment:

  1. Amy - this is just BEAUTIFUL!!!! I LOVE it and I WANT one ! Guess I am going to have to go hunting in antique and second hand stores now :-) Thank you so much for sharing - YOU are amazing.

    Phyl

    ReplyDelete